There are heaps of advantages to getting married overseas, like enjoying better weather and being at your honeymoon destination right after you’ve said ‘I do’. The question is, where’s best to tie the knot? Check out the three ultimate destinations below.
Top destination 1: Mauritius
When most of us think about getting married overseas, chances are we conjure up images of idyllic beaches, turquoise waters and baking sun. That’s exactly what you get with Mauritius. An island nation off the east coast of Africa, it’s known for its diverse culture, spectacular scenery and luxurious hotels, and is around a 12-hour flight from the UK.
• It’s for you if… you and your partner are looking for a service right on the beach or in a lavish hotel on a paradise-like island. It’s ideally suited to couples searching for the fairytale wedding in the sun, complete with stunning scenery. Plus, it’s also the perfect honeymoon destination, offering spas, days relaxing on the beach and romantic adventures, like diving.
• Romantic ideas: Now, Mauritius is home to loads of great spots to get married, but Le Morne is a particular gem. A little village down on the south-east coast, it’s got a stunning beach, lagoon and a backdrop of Le Morne mountain. There’s nowhere else more romantic on the island.
Top destination 2: Las Vegas
Does Vegas really need an introduction? Casinos, luxurious hotels and every kind of extravagance you can image – Sin City is all about indulgence.
• It’s for you if… you and your husband or wife-to-be thrive on having urban adventures – and love a bit of glitz and glamour. From flutters in the casino to seriously scary theme park rides, there’s just so much you do here.
• Romantic ideas: Las Vegas might not seem like the most romantic of settings, but there’s a lot of great stuff you can do to celebrate your nuptials – and if you’re looking for unusual ceremonies, you can even tie the knot next to the Grand Canyon (there are frequent helicopter trips out there) or while enjoying a flight over the Strip!
Top destination 3: Kenya
Weddings abroad are great for couples who like doing something a bit different – and Kenya certainly gives you plenty of opportunities to do something out of the ordinary. Kenya is, of course, famous the world over for its safaris, and is home to several national parks where you can tie the knot in a truly unforgettable fashion.
• It’s for you if… You’ve both always wanted to go on safari. Since safaris are usually fairly pricey endeavours, they remain a dream for a lot of people. What could be a better way of tying the knot than achieving a mutual lifelong dream at the same time?
• Romantic ideas: Ok, so going on safari is bound to be the first thing on your agenda here. Places like Masai Mara National Park are great for spotting the Big 5 (that’s lions, elephants, rhinos, buffalo and leopards), but it’s well worth giving the timing of your trip some careful thought to really make the most of it. For instance, if you head there between August and September, you might be lucky enough to spot the wildebeest migration.
For the ultimate romantic trip though, take a hot air balloon safari. Soar across the plains together, spot exciting animals and bask in the amazing landscape – there really is nothing like it.